Hearing scuttlebutt from ESPN insiders that NHL asked to move the Vegas-EDM game to 8pm ET.
Hearing NHL asked ESPN to move baseball to ESPN2, but ESPN declined. Same rumor is that ESPN also declined to trade games with TNT.
For now, only a rumor inside ESPN.
– Dan Kingerski (@TheDanKingerski) May 15, 2023
You have to understand that, with the time difference, it’s normal here to see games starting late in the evening.
However, during the NHL playoffs, apart from the NBA playoffs (generally ahead of the NHL) and the MLB regular season, there isn’t much action in the sport.
However, there’s a rumour going around ESPN right now, and it involves this very game.
Former NHL defenseman Ryan Whitney also had his say and seems to share the general opinion of field hockey fans who don’t like the decision to put this game on at 10pm.
I can’t get over the fact this Oilers game doesn’t start for another 90 minutes. It’s Sunday. NBA played a game 7 at 3:30. McDavid Leon two of the biggest stars the league has ever seen in a must win game ON A SUNDAY starting a game at 10 pm. Beyond dumb
– Ryan Whitney (@ryanwhitney6) May 15, 2023
It is indeed sacrilegious to deprive many field hockey fans of the league’s two best players on a Sunday, when it’s the only game on the schedule today.
Whitney isn’t the only one who thinks so, as many Internet users share the same opinion, such as Jennifer Dunbar, or this James Reimer fan page.
– Jennifer Dunbar (@dunbar106) May 7, 2023
Oh I’m 100% with you, 10:00 PM EST is too late for a single NHL playoff game. Should be 9 PM EST.
Its all because a Canadian team is in it, its the least priority for ESPN. If this was COL vs DAL, it would be a matinee or an earlier evening game.
– REIMERholics (@REIMERholics) May 15, 2023
The NHL may have to rethink their playoff schedule eventually, but the fact that ESPN would have refused any NHL requests, also proves how field hockey isn’t as popular as it is in Canada.
It seems to me that having a crucial game played earlier, featuring the two best players on the planet, wouldn’t have really hurt the ESPN network. The ratings would have been high enough to compete with a regular-season baseball game.
– To set the table a little further for Game #6 between the Golden Knights and Oilers.
Game 6 between the #VegasBorn and #LetsGoOilers is coming up and me & @irfgaffar preview tonight’s matchup on Game Day, presented by @BodogCA. We expect another high-flying, chippy game, but who comes out on top? We discuss that and our picks & props here… pic.twitter.com/SI2Oea2D3D
– David Pagnotta (@TheFourthPeriod) May 14, 2023
– If you’re still awake, we now know the goalkeeper duel for game #6.
Hill vs Skinner tonight
– Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 15, 2023
– Now off duty, Garnet Hathaway of the Bruins has a field day at the Red Sox game.
Sick catch by our guy Garnet Hathaway pic.twitter.com/gCSTZo4QWx
– JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) May 15, 2023
– It doesn’t bode well for Doc Rivers, even if his star player Joel Embiid believes he’s been fantastic in these playoffs.