– New York Post Sports (@nypostsports) August 16, 2023
Because he pleaded guilty after illegally using a firearm in Russia. He fired it in an area where it wasn’t allowed in his native country, which earned him his fine. What’s more, his gun was confiscated.
We agree that the $406 (the equivalent of his sentence in US currency) it cost him isn’t exactly an amount that will keep him up at night, wondering how he’s going to make ends meet.
It’s a warning, though.
He’s being punished because using a weapon in the area he was in is considered dangerous to citizens. The Russian pleaded guilty, which means… he pleaded guilty. But that doesn’t mean he thinks he’s guilty.
Maybe it just means that the small fine wasn’t worth contesting in his eyes. Who knows?
Remember, though, that this isn’t the worst story involving Panarin in Russia. In 2021, the Rangers player was at the heart of allegations that, in 2011, he had hit an 18-year-old woman.
It’s debatable whether this was in fact a political story, as the Rangers player had just supported Vladimir Putin’s opponent. In the end, the whole thing was forgotten with the passage of time.
Breaking news: Panarin is taking a leave of absence from NYR in aftermath of political hit piece against him from Russia alleging that he beat up an 18-year-old girl in Russia in 2011.
– Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) February 22, 2021
Remember that Panarin is an important player for the Rangers, a club that has a lot to make up for on the ice in the coming months. He’ll need to have his head in the game to take the Blue Shirts to the next level.
– It’s now official: Réjean Tremblay writes for BPM Sports. The news broke last week.
– BPM Sports (@BPMSportsRadio) August 16, 2023
– Not a bad first season as captain for Nick Suzuki.
Most points by a first-year Canadiens captain:
96 – Pierre Turgeon (1995-96)
81 – Vincent Damphousse (1996-97)
68 – Yvan Cournoyer (1975-76)
66 – Nick Suzuki (2022-23)
– Big Head Canadiens (@BigHeadHabs) August 15, 2023
– Jeff Petry trade: the Michigan point of view.
– Arpon Basu (@ArponBasu) August 15, 2023
– Angela Price is proud for the Petry family as they come home. [RDT]
– A real warrior, that Mark Stone. Scoring with a broken wrist is something to be proud of.
Post this on Instagram