“In 2024 it’s a little rosier.”
The 2023 crop of Quebec players is slim, but things could change quickly.
– La Dose (@LaDose_TVA) June 27, 2023
We’re all waiting to see where Matvei Michkov ends up tomorrow night in the first round of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.
Yes, despite the fact that he’s one of this year’s hottest prospects.
Elliotte Friedman told the Habs Fan TV boys last night that, across the NHL right now, they don’t think he’ll be available after the Flyers draft him 7th overall.
The situation, which seemed very ambiguous at times, seems to be clearing up. And that’s good.
According to @FriedgeHNIC,
– Michkov is rising & people don’t think he’ll go past Philly 👀
– LA Kings still have the edge on Dubois, but the Habs could re-enter the race based on Michkov decision
– The Habs could be willing to MOVE DOWN if they don’t get the player they want. pic.twitter.com/XYvExs3GoO
– Habs Fan TV (@habsfantv_) June 27, 2023
The Flyers are also said to be very interested in the player who is stealing the show from Connor Bedard. If Michkov is still available in the fifth spot, Kent Hughes should be able to use him to talk to the Flyers and Capitals…
And the CH DG could take advantage of this to obtain an interesting return in the event of clubs fighting to select Matvei Michkov. That’s if the CH has no intention of selecting him, of course.
In the same clip above, Friedman briefly considers the case of Pierre-Luc Dubois. He reminds us that the Kings are the current favourites to get the Quebecer… Which we already knew.
It’s still interesting, though, since the Sportsnet tipster jumps straight to the case of Matvei Michkov after talking about Dubois.
It’s as if he’s giving the impression that the two cases are linked, and it’s as if the decision to draft (or not) Michkov could influence the CH to make another serious attempt to acquire Dubois…
But to me, that’s not the case.
Rather, I get the impression that Friedman wanted to emphasize the importance of selecting Mishkov tomorrow night. That, after all, is what we’ll be watching between now and tomorrow.
Friedman goes on to say that the Habs could move down a few rungs if they can’t land the player they want in the fifth spot. Is he talking about Will Smith? Leo Carlsson? Ryan Leonard?
After all, the players I’ve just named may not be available when the Habs take to the podium to announce their selection. The Blue Jackets are considering drafting Smith OR Carlsson…
I know. That’s a lot of question marks. But that’s what the 2023 draft is all about. And that’s why excitement is at an all-time high across the NHL right now, with just over 24 hours to go before the first round.
– We’ll see.
– The Sens are shaking things up as the draft approaches.
– Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) June 27, 2023
– In his rookie season, Wyatt Johnson did well. It remains to be seen whether he’ll be able to keep up the momentum.
– Mike Heika (@MikeHeika) June 27, 2023
– He stole the show, again.
Connor McDavid added four more trophies to his mantle on Monday after taking home the Hart and Ted Lindsay to go along with his Rocket Richard & Art Ross.
– TSN Hockey (@TSNHockey) June 27, 2023
– Big news in the tennis world.