NHL Draft | 10 first-round picks https://t.co/jG3Xq6qjGA
– La Presse Sports (@LaPresse_Sports) June 26, 2023
The risks associated with Matvei Michkov’s candidacy are well known.
Whether it’s his size, his 200-foot game, his contract, his nationality (in wartime) or his attitude, many teams are doing their homework to determine what to do with the young man.
But if not, maybe we’re all in the field and teams recognize the guy’s (great) talent and don’t intend to let him slide as low as some think.
Drafting Mishkov and Russian-based players: a risk or not? The GMs don’t seem particularly skittishhttps://t.co/csUycLOlNu
– Guillaume Lefrançois 🟦🇨🇿 (@glefrancoisLP) June 26, 2023
Not everyone will. I know Chicago won’t (for obvious reasons…) and I’d be really surprised if the Blue Jackets, whose GM wants to win faster with a big center, didn’t uproot the Russian and bring him to Ohio.
I think the Ducks will consider Michkov, but will go for Adam Fantilli or Leo Carlsson… and Columbus will take the other guy. Will Smith is also an option, though.
The Sharks could take Michkov or leave him for later. And if he’s available at #5, we all have a feeling the CH could pass… but it would seem, according to one NHL scout, that the Habs have a big interest in Michkov.
Great interview by @DenikSport with one (not named) NHL scout.
– He says that Columbus is really considering to pick Smith over Carlsson.
– He heard that Montreal has a big interest in Michkov.
– Scouts don’t like Michkov’s character a lot, he looks selfish on the ice.
– Andy & Rono (@ARHockeyStats) June 26, 2023
Of course, there may be some bluffing involved. Right now, there’s a big poker game going on between 32 NHL teams, and everyone’s trying to hide their hand.
In my opinion, it’s normal for the Habs to give the impression that they’re very interested in Michkov. The other teams must think there’s a chance of him landing in Quebec, and the CH is doing its homework right now anyway.
If they want to know everything there is to know about the player, it’s only natural that they’d be interested. That said, if I had an old $2 to bet on the subject, I’d still say that the player shouldn’t be drafted by Montreal.
Can’t wait for the draft, can we?
– Speaking of the wolf.
– Radio-Canada Sports (@RC_Sports) June 26, 2023
– Good draft by the Raptors. [TSN 690]
– Regarding the draft.
– It’s a rush.
There’s too much uncertainty right now. https://t.co/9g4d0LCJVO
– Passion MLB (@passion_mlb) June 26, 2023
– Hiring in Pittsburgh.
The Penguins have named Vukie Mpofu as Director of Hockey Operations and Legal Affairs.
– Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) June 26, 2023