Potential roster for the rookie tournament…
Heineman – Beck – Roy
Mesar – Farrell – Davidson
Mysäk – Kidney – Simoneau
F.Xhekaj – Guindon – Smilanic
Trudeau – Reinbacher
Struble – Mailloux
Demin – Tourigny
– Marc-Olivier Beaudoin (@MOBeaudoin1) September 8, 2023
We’re talking about 27 guys.
I can’t wait to see the big names (David Reinbacher, Owen Beck, Sean Farrell, Emil Heineman, Joshua Roy, etc.) in action over the next few days. The tournament takes place September 15-18 in Buffalo.
What’s worth noting is that a number of hopefuls won’t be there – notably those playing in Europe or in the NCAA… or those who, like Nathan Légaré, have two pro seasons under their belts.
Lane Hutson, for example, can’t be. Otherwise, he would lose his eligibility to play in the NCAA.
That’s why we can make the leap when we see that Ty Smilanic is there. Smilanic is a prospect who was acquired in the deal that sent Ben Chiarot to Florida. We expected to see him return to the NCAA for lack of news, but now he’s clearly making the jump to the pros.
His transfer from Quinnipac to Wisconsin didn’t pay off hockey-wise either. His head wasn’t in field hockey, so his stats weren’t up to scratch.
My first observation is that if Smilanic makes the jump to the pros, it may be because he’s getting better. That’s great news in the first place, and that’s what matters most.
But I wonder, hockey-wise, if it’s the best.
Obviously, I’m not the one who decides, and I haven’t evaluated him the way the CH has. But Laval will have a young club this year and it seems to me that going to dominate Wisconsin would have been a good idea, on paper, wouldn’t it?
Maybe going to university, for many reasons, wasn’t ideal for him, and maybe getting out of the Wisconsin environment will help him mentally. It remains to be seen, but I’m curious to see how he does.
– New number for David Reinbacher.
And David Reinbacher now wears #64, the same number as with EHC Kloten.
– Vincent Duquette (@VincentDuquette) September 8, 2023
– Oliver Kapanen, a notable absence.
A bit surprised that Oliver Kapanen isn’t here, but with the Liiga season starting on Tuesday and him not being signed by the #Habs it makes sense.
Let him have a bigger role in KalPa and cash in next year. https://t.co/5nFk8hLTbr
– Patrik Bexell (@Zeb_Habs) September 8, 2023
– The three guests of the lot.
Twenty-seven players will take part in the Canadiens’ rookie camp starting next week. Three players have been invited: forward Isaac Dufort, defenseman Stanislav Demin and goaltender Jan Spunar.https://t.co/tUI1z31iR8
– Marc Antoine Godin (@MAGodin) September 8, 2023
– Here are the lesser-known players.
Players at #Habs rookie camp.
– Spunar is on Czechia’s U20 team
– Smilanic has another year of NCAA eligibility, but since he’s at rookie camp, he will be signing something (AHL deal?)
– Demin is a 6’2″ 23-year old dman out of the NCAA
– Dufort was at dev camp pic.twitter.com/5SAKGuIetw
– Andrew Zadarnowski (@AZadarski) September 8, 2023