The Hurricanes continue to push on Erik Karlsson. We’ll see where it goes, but the next 24-48 hours should be interesting on that front.
– Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) July 2, 2023
Naturally, the Sharks aren’t too keen on withholding 50% of his salary.
Erik Karlsson to the Canes or Penguins? 👀 pic.twitter.com/JuI8tGCRQi
– Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) July 1, 2023
Both teams are very interested in acquiring the Sharks’ offensive defenseman, who is coming off an incredible 101-point season.
As for the Hurricanes, despite yesterday’s signing of Dmitri Orlov, they’re still totally in the running, and have the leeway to do so.
The Orlov signing does not take Carolina out of the Erik Karlsson trade talks. The ‘Canes still have room and interest in Karlsson.
– Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) July 1, 2023
Not the most defensive duo, let’s say.
The Hurricanes and Penguins are reportedly in on Erik Karlsson, the best offensive defenseman and one of the worst defensive defensemen in field hockey. pic.twitter.com/GvZp48pQcZ
– JFresh (@JFreshHockey) July 1, 2023
– Jon Swenson (@jonswenson) July 2, 2023
The problem is, they’re already $2 million over the cap.
The Penguins are on a downward slope and didn’t make the playoffs last season.
In a gust
– To watch today.
It’s the first day of on-ice activities at #Habs development camp in Brossard:
Goalies will be on the ice at 9:15am ET
Forwards at 11:15am ET (on rink 1)
and defensemen also at 11:15am ET (on rink 2)
– Priyanta Emrith (@HabsInHighHeels) July 2, 2023
– Already four goalies on the ice.
– Mathieu Bédard (@MatBedardTva) July 2, 2023
– Size always matters in the NHL.
It’s worth noting that Michkov, Benson, Perreault, Brindley, Cristall, Lardis and Perron all were drafted later than many expected. Like it or not, most NHL teams put a premium on size, and when you watch the NHL playoffs, you see why. A few smaller guys excel but it’s only a few
– Grant McCagg (@grantmccagg) July 2, 2023
– I agree, it’s time for the young guys.
#Habs remaining veterans are unlikely to return anything in this climate. What IS valuable is their cap space – so team also needs to make sure to weaponize it, and not let it go to waste. Between now and ’24 deadline, lots of opportunity there.
– Dan Kramer (@DanKramerHabs) July 2, 2023
– Read more.