Ryan Poehling was NOT qualified-offered by Penguins, so he can become UFA at noon Saturday.
He was acquired via trade (Mike Matheson) last season along with Jeff Petry, who Penguins have shopped this week. That deal was done by Ron Hextall. @TheAthleticNHL
– Rob Rossi (@Real_RobRossi) June 30, 2023
The final lists go out quietly this evening, and the Pittsburgh Penguins’ list has just been announced.
It’s also worth remembering that Jeff Petry was put on display by Pittsburgh this week.
By losing Poehling and looking for a trade for Petry, it’s easy to conclude that Montreal won this transaction all round.
Matheson had a very good season and showed great interest in playing in Montreal. In addition to commanding a lower salary, the Quebecer’s impact was greater than Petry’s in Pittsburgh in 2022-2023.
Obviously, these are two offensive-minded defensemen and not the type teams would trust defensively. However, Matheson wasn’t terrible in that department either.
You can see the Penguins’ complete list of qualified and unqualified players right here.
The Pittsburgh Penguins have not sent qualifying offers to pending-RFA’s:
Forward Ryan Poehling
Defenseman Josh Maniscalco
Defenseman Peter Diliberatore
Defenseman Colin Swoyer
(All players will become UFA’s on July 1st.)
– NHL News & Rumors (@MPitkins) June 30, 2023
He could find work elsewhere in the league on a low-paying contract. If not, teams should be interested in his services if he’s willing to accept a two-part contract.
– Arber Xhekaj would get more work if the tough guy joins the Maple Leafs.
The Maple Leafs will look to add some size & toughness via free agency. One player high on their list: Ryan Reaves
– David Pagnotta (@TheFourthPeriod) June 30, 2023
– Great signing from the Kraken.
INBOX: The @SeattleKraken have signed Goaltender Joey Daccord to a two year deal, at $1.2 million AAV.
Daccord led the Coachella Valley Firebirds to the Calder Cup Finals.@komonews
– Chris Daniels (@ChrisDaniels_TV) June 30, 2023
– He had a good series with the Heat, who made it to the Grand Finals.
The player, who was never drafted, will make a nice sum in Los Angeles. https://t.co/T3E4zv76el
– AlleyOop360 (@AlleyOop360) June 30, 2023
– That’s a lot of points.
2857+1921=4778 points in NHL in this picture 😀👍 pic.twitter.com/ZQP8EkFpC9
– Jaromir Jagr (@68Jagr) June 30, 2023
– The NBA free agent market is on fire right now.
No shortage of 💰 being spent just an hour into NBA free agency pic.twitter.com/WV0voasrED
– Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) June 30, 2023