– Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) May 6, 2023
The Senators’ sale has been the talk of the town for several months now. Following the death of Eugene Melnyk, the team is looking for a new full-time owner, and there are many interested parties.
What we’ve noticed is that several stars are among those who want a piece of the action. It all started when Ryan Reynolds said last November that he wanted to join a group of buyers. Then Snoop Dogg added his name to the list recently, as part of another group.
Clearly, when it comes to popularity, it’s hard to beat him as a musical artist.
The artist is part of a group led by Toronto billionaires Jeffrey and Michael Kimel, who want to acquire the team. He’s a Toronto native himself, born of immigrant parents from Ethiopia. Unlike a guy like Snoop Dogg, for example, he at least has the advantage of being a local.
So that means Ryan Reynolds, Snoop Dogg and The Weeknd are all part of the process, and part of three different groups. Chances are therefore relatively good that one of the three will become the club’s owner (in a minority capacity, of course).
Recall that the club is expected to be sold for a rather titanic price. We know there’s at least one bid in excess of $1 billion, and it’s far from impossible that other offers in the same price range will be made.
We’ll have to keep an eye on it, but it’s looking increasingly likely that a celebrity will be part of the group that acquires the Senators. Will it be Ryan Reynolds? Snoop Dogg? The Weeknd? Some other star whose identity we don’t yet know? The answer, we hope, will come sooner rather than later.
In a gust
– HabsLinks (@HabsLinks) May 6, 2023
– Cole Caufield’s contract is still the talk of the town. [JDM]
– Erik Gustafsson looks set to play tomorrow.
Erik Gustafsson is quarterbacking PP2 for the Leafs at practice today.
Suggests he may be entering the lineup for Game 3.
– Jonas Siegel (@jonassiegel) May 6, 2023
– Hurricanes updates.
Some health notes from Rod Brind’Amour ahead of an afternoon flight to Newark:
– Antti Raanta is feeling better, but “not great” after missing last night’s game due to illness.
– Teuvo Teravainen (broken hand) skating today is mostly insignificant, he’s not close to returning. pic.twitter.com/9OkOKdPJpQ
– Walt Ruff (@WaltRuff) May 6, 2023
– Good news for the Kraken.
– Geoff Baker (@GeoffBakerTIMES) May 6, 2023
– The only thing is, the Raptors probably never would have won without Kawhi Leonard. My text on the subject.