Newest Red Wing Jeff Petry addressing the media.
Said that being traded to Detroit was a relief and he’s happy to play for Detroit. pic.twitter.com/w8mgIVYkFX
– Ken Kal (@KenKalDRW) August 16, 2023
Kent Hughes has granted Jeff Petry’s wish by sending him elsewhere.
The Habs GM made it clear yesterday at his press conference that he understood why the defenseman wouldn’t want to start the season in Montreal. Basically, Hughes knew that Petry had asked for a trade a little over a year ago, and he thought it illogical to force him to wear a Flannel uniform in 23-24.
He made a point of saying that playing in Detroit is a “relief”, and it’s obvious that the defenseman is happy to be joining his new organization.
It’s easy to understand.
After all, we know the impact that COVID-19 has had on the Petry family, and it’s normal to see him wanting to be close to his loved ones.
Family is an important aspect for him (it’s not new yesterday) and sincerely, we have to respect his choices.
No one can – or should – hold it against him.
The case is closed, then. I’m already looking forward to the Red Wings’ first visit to the Bell Centre next season…
In the end, Kent Hughes respected his demands twice. Jeff Petry wanted to be traded in the summer of 2022 and went to the Penguins. He wanted to go to Detroit, and now he’ll be playing for the Red Wings in 23-24.
– There’s a big rumour going around right now about our colleague Mitch Giguère. He’s leaving the Université de Montréal to become an assistant coach in the ECHL, with the Wheeling Nailers. Stay tuned…
– For sure.
– What will the Islanders do in the coming months?
The New York Islanders are under significant pressure to remain a playoff team.
Adam Proteau puts three people on the hot seat, warm seat and cold seat: https://t.co/bVfmzFqo6T
– The Hockey News (@TheHockeyNews) August 16, 2023
– A lot will be achieved this season in the NHL.
– AnnK_ (@AnnK_MamaOnIce) August 16, 2023
– The Twins lost, but hey. Quite a game from Edouard Julien.