The New York Yankees have been playing without three of their top four hitters for quite some time now. And while Cody Bellinger could be back as early as tomorrow (Sunday) and captain Aaron Judge is making good progress toward a return sometime in September, the situation is quite different for Giancarlo Stanton.
In fact, while recovering from a calf injury, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that Stanton has injured his other calf and will miss even more time for the Bombers—potentially the rest of the season and the playoffs.
Giancarlo Stanton strained his other calf. He fell while running. “Moderate grade,” said Aaron Boone. He could be out for the season.
This is very bad news in the Bronx, as Stanton was accelerating his rehab, and even though there had been a few setbacks in the process, he was still working toward a return to the field with the goal of being ready for the playoffs.
Giancarlo Stanton strained his other calf. He fell while running. It's a moderate strain, Aaron Boone said. He may be out for the season.
— Bryan Hoch
(@BryanHoch) August 22, 2026
And God knows the 36-year-old has always been a key cog for the Big Apple's representatives when it comes to playing October baseball.
Before his injury, the cleanup hitter was batting .256 with three home runs and 14 RBIs in 24 games played. His .724 OPS wasn't anything to write home about, but chances are the Yankees would welcome him back with open arms, given their anemic offense right now.
Especially since they're just three games behind the Tampa Bay Rays for the top spot in the American League East and hold the first Wild Card spot in the same half of the bracket.
Stanton's extended absence means that Ben Rice will step in more often than usual as the designated hitter, while Luis Garcia Jr. will take his place at first base. Veteran Paul Goldschmidt will also see his share of action.
Created by humans, assisted by AI.
(@BryanHoch)